* Between The Sea (the Med) and The Alps -- {Pronounce: ontruh la mair eh lay zalp}

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Winners and losers

Winners 01As Doc Leo doesn't like to stray very far from his internet connection and his kitty cats, we don't seem to ever take vacations now that he's retired.  Thus I get stuck having all my obligations around the property staring me in the face with no break. 

To combat that, in order to have a bit more personal time, I apparently have ended up throwing myself into my sewing site with more participation than I really should dedicate. 

Here is a recap of some of the ups and downs I've experienced recently.  The recent ups are particularly rewarding!

Among the attractions of my favorite sewing site are the contests they regularly offer.  Many of them don't interest me or apply to my lifestyle, but some of them have given me a reason to attack my sewing machine and relive a previous life.

Winners 03
A popular pattern

The first interesting contest this year was in March, using a pattern from a particular list. As I had both fabric and a correct pattern that was just waiting to be made, this made a perfect opportunity. 

While I didn't place in the top three, I think I came in fourth, which was still totally exciting, plus I got something new to wear instead of it just sitting on a shelf. 

Winners 04
Another one
Winners 05
And another

For fun, as I had two more patterns on the list, I did both of them, too, although they were not nearly as popular with the voting public.

Winners 06
A wardrobe idea

I really got into the next contest in April, which was creating a coordinated wardrobe of nine articles.  My personal challenge was to only use up stash I already had, some of it going back to my Florida days! 

The Doc helped me to create a really snazzy storyboard, something neither of us had done before.  It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed all the communication with everybody else in the sewing world. 

Winners 07
The wardrobe reality

Unfortunately, my collection was not loved at all by the voting public, and I finished way way down on the totem pole.  That was definitely a real blow to my ego, but my real life world has loved the items as I've worn them. 

And I was totally in favor of the collection that won first place.

Winners 08
Words of wisdom
Winners 09
Something for autumn
On the rebound, I entered another contest I had no hope of winning, one that enticed everybody to use up as much of their stash as possible. 

While I have no interest in sewing just to be sewing, I did use that contest as group motivation to make something I'd had in the wings for a couple of years.

Winners 10
Featured!
During the summer, while everybody else was off and away to fascinating destinations, I was chosen to be the highlighted person of the month, making me feel like I was definitely a member of the site's community.  I got so many nice comments from others very happy to learn more about me beyond just checking out my various reviews of the things I've been making.

Winners 11
Being a book cover
Winners 12
A 1940's babe
Right after that was another contest.  It sounded like fun, but I had no idea how to develop the concept.  I ended up turning myself into a vintage teenager!  Well, lo and behold, the results of the public voting were revealed this past week, and Nancy Drew came in first place!  Again, the comments everybody left me were really rewarding.

The day after that contest ended, before voting even began, the site started a major competition.  I was working on my hillside last year when they ran the first season and totally missed that it was even happening.  It's based on a British sewing reality show competition that I haven't been the only one to really enjoy watching for three seasons.

The concept is that on Day 1, they give you the theme of what you then have to make for Round 1 in a short specified period of time.  If you end up in the top unannounced percentage, you get to move on to Round 2, with a winner being chosen for that first round.  Kind of like a Best of Show award.  After the winners are announced, the theme is given for the next round.  And thus it continues for four rounds of elimination and advancement, with a winner for each round, and then an overall winner for the whole competition.

Winners 13
Award-winning styling

While a number of candidates expressed interest before the theme was announced for Round 1, many dropped out as not being interested in the topic or feeling incapable of competing.  But I was thrilled, as it was actually more within my capabilities than many other themes could have been.  I had seven days to make a fitted blouse.  I knew right away what I was going to do, but that whole idea turned out to be a lot harder than I expected, using techniques in ways I'd never done before.

Winners 14
Details

As people started looking over the entries, I started getting some absolutely positive and complimentary comments.  Everybody just loved what I'd come up with.  Yes, it was pretty, but it was just a blouse.  One that I'd made a lot harder than it should have been trying to be contest worthy.  As I was being overwhelmed by all the commentary, waiting for the judges to vote, the previous contest results came in.  My mind was totally in a whirl!

Then, this morning, three days later, the judges' verdict came down.  Not only was I advancing to the next round, but I was chosen as the winner of the first round!  Apparently the judges liked my blouse as much as the comment givers did.

Winners 15
For becoming Nancy Drew
Winners 16
For making a peppermint blouse
It's been kind of embarrassing to get all these congratulatory notes for the two contests, especially with them so close together, which normally isn't possible.  It just so happens that this competition came right on top of a regular contest, and I just happened to place first in both.  I won't be allowed to win (so why enter?) another contest for four months, and I could easily bomb out of the running with the second round's theme (embellish a piece of fabric then use it to make a garment), totally outside of my creative juices.  Then I'll have no excuse not to get back to the drudgery of keeping up our property.

So despite the Doc's homebody preferences, I think I managed to amuse myself fairly well so far this year.  Don't you agree?

8 comments:

  1. Personally, I can't wait to see what you do with the fabric embellishment round. I think it will be clever and creative. Yes, totally out of your comfort zone. But, probably, it will be out of the comfort zone of all of the people who advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that you have kept yourself productively entertained. Like Leah, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this round. Congratulations on your successes - and on those which might have been led successful in the voters' eyes but were, nevertheless, winners. As far as the holiday issue is concerned, we seem to be in the same position, ex-wife I haven't used the time quite so successfully for sewing but I do have a lot of golfing commitments. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many typos! I trust you get the meaning though!

      Delete
  4. That blouse is so pretty and seeing what you did with the cuffs and buttons is so creative and, as always, your work is totally beyond professional (let's face it, lots of what we're buying in stores these days isn't nearly as well made as what you do!). Fits you perfectly and really is The Winner. Like that dress "Something For Autumn," too. I don't suppose there's any $$ for winners in these contests is there? That would be nice! You make such beautiful things. And, just so you'll know, we didn't go anywhere either. We've just worked on all our plumbing problems. We have rain today, finally!! Rejoicing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did win a little fortune along with the fame. I got a $50 gift certificate to a pattern company for Nancy Drew and a $100 gift certificate to a fabric company for the blouse. I don't want to think how much shipping will eat out of that, lol.

      Delete
  5. Barb, I love this post! I especially like the outfit inspired by the book - very cute and fun. You have gone above and beyond in your blogging capabilities - wow! Well done on the contest and competition - you deserved the wins! Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that pink blouse and it looks really good on you! Congrats on all your successes!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger seo tips