* Between The Sea (the Med) and The Alps -- {Pronounce: ontruh la mair eh lay zalp}

Saturday, February 28, 2015

A violet festival -- the fête

Tourrettes Fête 01Now that you've visited the village and seen the parade, I thought I'd show you how the festival in general looked.  I've tried to capture the general ambiance of the event for you, including the village, the crowd, the market, and hopefully the French twist making it stand out from similar events elsewhere. 

As I mentioned before, we met up with our old Paris neighbors and friends, down south for a couple of months, which made the day quite interesting for us.

Tourrettes Fête 02
Taking the shuttle
Tourrettes Fête 03
Proud of their heritage

First, there was no parking in the village available, as you might imagine.  So we started off catching one of the many shuttles they ran throughout the day. 

Once we got to the village, we were welcomed with a large flower banner over a local market.

We found a large crowd already formed in front of the old laundry area, where the ancients gathered to wash their belongings in a group water source, as well as in the covered bus stop.

Tourrettes Fête 04
Not waiting for a bus
Tourrettes Fête 05
Not doing the wash

The crowd also spilled out all around the main church, both in front and around the side.

Tourrettes Fête 06
Milling around the church . . .
Tourrettes Fête 07
. . . waiting for the parade

In the center of the town square, many vendor stalls were set up.  I took a little tour around to capture the various violet products and ambiance for you.

Tourrettes Fête 08
The bakery likes to party, too . . .
Tourrettes Fête 09
. . . and makes a pretty window display

Tourrettes Fête 10
How about some violet jam
Tourrettes Fête 11
Or perhaps some syrup or liqueur

Besides various purple products for sale, there were other regional products available.

Tourrettes Fête 13
Don't wait for the Battle
Tourrettes Fête 12
Provençal-style olives, garlic, lemons

I really enjoyed these carved gourds, containing cactus gardens and Provençal villages.

Tourrettes Fête 14
So pretty
Tourrettes Fête 15
So charming

And then, there were the various flower displays, which I found nicely put together.

Tourrettes Fête 16
Parade grandstand for the celebs
Tourrettes Fête 18
Passing through the clock tower
Tourrettes Fête 17
Lady with basket

Despite the crowd, we were able to find our friends, who were in their typical spot in front of the church, in prime position to watch the parade as it passed by.  (Extra points for correctly guessing where he got his Dodger baseball cap!)

Tourrettes Fête 19
Catching up with old friends
Tourrettes Fête 20
Waiting for the parade

After the Battle of the Flowers, a number of households were going to have pretty bouquets gracing their tables or shelves.  The fact that one could easily cut a mimosa branch from all over the countryside didn't seem to be important here -- much more fun to reach out and grab one away from the next person!

Tourrettes Fête 21
Am I a vase?
Tourrettes Fête 23
A triumphal battle
Tourrettes Fête 22
I got mine!

Even my friend managed to get her own collection, as usual.  As I missed out by taking pictures for you, she gave me the little bouquet she was gifted by the vendor when she bought a collection of organic lemons to make her annual lemon wine.

Tourrettes Fête 24
Filled my sack!
Tourrettes Fête 26
Finding good lemons for wine
Tourrettes Fête 25
Old friends in the old village

Before we left, we stopped into the local café for our annual hot chocolate.  That makes a really nice ending of a lovely day with old friends for me.  On the way to our shuttle to get back to our car, I came across the police woman I'd seen earlier walking through the crowds with her own bouquet of battle flowers!  By this point, she'd lost the violets stuck in her pocket, which was even more doubly funny.

Tourrettes Fête 27
A quaint spot for imbibing
Tourrettes Fête 28
Even the Gendarmes win battles

Tourrettes Fête 29
My own pretty table

I hope you've enjoyed this fun little French violet festival in my backyard.  Come visit me sometime at this time of year, and you can participate yourself! 

My friend ended up giving me a few of her battle flowers, which I put into my Delft tulip vase from a long ago visit to Holland.  A win win for me. 

Until next year's fête . . .

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these pics. It's fun to experience vicariously. Amazing gourds, love the spider, and very happy to see JC looking like himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. Looks like you all had a wonderful time. Really liked that gourd with the succulents in it and have to know.... did you try the violet jam? Looks beautiful. Glad this was such a good time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun. Last weekend we had our wisteria festival (http://www.sierramadrenews.net/?page_id=259), but I can assure you the vendors and such were nowhere near as enticing as yours. True story. I had never heard that we had the biggest blossoming plant in the world until the summer Michael and I spent in Paris (1990). We went one weekend over to London and went to the Guinness World Records Museum and that's when I learned about our wisteria vine. Sierra Madre must not have been subjected to the tour bus hordes back in those days.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger seo tips