* Between The Sea (the Med) and The Alps -- {Pronounce: ontruh la mair eh lay zalp}

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Another trip around the Sun

Doc 68 1Since I started blogging last year, I've introduced all the members of our family and paid tribute to them on their birthdays.  Except for the patriarch of the clan. 

While Doc Leo has the earliest calendar date birthday each year, he's ended up having the last birthday on my blog.  Today we shall rectify that!

Obviously, I've been aware of who I am since my earliest memories.  Being the oldest sibling in my family by a fair number of years, I have a lot of memories of who they were, too.  While I wasn't around when the older generations in my family started life, I've always been connected to them, shared the same genetic roots, heard a lot about their childhoods, and just knew that we were all of the same basic make-up, whether by nurture or by nature.

Doc 68 2
Around when we met

Then I met the Doc.  As our relationship developed, it became more interesting to understand just where he came from.  For the first time, there was somebody important to me who didn't look like my family, have any of the same mannerisms, think like us, or even understand the world I'd grown up in, as he came from as far away as possible yet still be in the same country.

So it was really interesting to check out the baby pictures his family gave me, listen to the stories they told about him, compare his childhood experiences with mine (with very little having anything in common), and just generally try to figure out exactly who this person was who was going to become a permanent fixture in my life. 

Doc 68 3
Playing in fall leaves at age 2

When I produced my own children, it was fascinating to watch them become us.  In general, I never saw much of myself; perhaps I was just too close to the subject matter.  But in watching my firstborn learning how to walk, I discovered that she held herself just like her father, something I'd never noticed before. 

I watched my second one pick up on his style of humor, something she had always detested until she turned into him. 

Doc 68 4
Summer at the lake at age 9
I listened to my very young son complain about the same situations in life that he complained about, while I had just taken them in stride and never paid attention. 

I had a picture of the Doc on the beach when he was nine.  Meeting him at about double that age, I saw the exact same body frame on the adult as the child had had. 

When my own son was the same age, it was really interesting to see that same frame.  It seemed like my whole family were clones of this strange individual, so different from the genetic characteristics I'd grown up with. 

There could never be any doubt who their father was.

Doc 68 5
Surprise 24th birthday
Doc 68 6
Life today

But do you know what?  That's just fine.  My kids could have done much worse.  (They could have become me!) 

So, in celebration of the 68th anniversary of when the Doc first graced this planet, I say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABE!!!! 

It's been a great ride sharing all your adult birthdays with you even if I missed all of your childhood ones.

10 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Dad! One more year of spinning around... I don't know your other grandson's personality, but the one over here certainly takes after you. The legacy carries on! That picture of you at the lake is a great choice to show you bigger but otherwise exactly the same. Hope you have a great celebration of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my cousin as a kid - mostly as a teen. We didn't see a lot of each other, but I have fond memories of games of battleship and jotto, played with paper and pencil - not plastic manufactured ones - at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how many games we played of Jotto over the years once he taught me the five-letter word game. I'll never forget his choice of "onion." Not fair!

      Delete
  3. And I forgot to say - Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, cousin! I too have good memories of Thanksgiving visits, but not as clear as hamgal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Craig. Or Doc Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice remembrance page. I see the boy we first met when we came out of our house early one morning at 415 No. Canon Drive to find a VW bus full of sleepy people. You guys have had such an exciting life together, so productive and with so many wonderful memories of travel and adventure. We realized the other day that we've been hanging around together for 50 years. So have you, I think. Sweet. Happy Birthday again, Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite. We're only up to just over 48 years of hanging together. And it still seems like it was just yesterday!

      Delete

Blogger seo tips